Potins et ragots du monde des pédales d'effets

Starfucker Inc.
Parce qu'avec internet (les forums, twitter, facebook etc..) on a accès à des infos très privés, depuis quelques temps, on pénètre dans le privé de pas mal de constructeurs

Exemples:
- Devi ever et ses multiples opérations, ses ventes de schéma à d'autres constructeurs, le fait qu'elle brade certains trucs quand elle a besoin de thune pour ses opérations
- Un constructeur X qui s'engueule avec un constructeur Y
- Des prises de becs sur des forums
- L'attitude de Zvex sur certains forums
etc..

Ce topic se propose donc de rassembler et de débattre de ces potins et ragots qui concerne les liens entre constructeurs, avec leur consommateurs que ce soit des particuliers ou des stars.

Loin de nous l'idée de polémiquer sur tel ou tel choix de la vie de chacun, mais plutôt de la façon dont cela affecte le petit monde des pédales d'effet.

Un exemple récent ramené par Givemesomefunk, une prise de bec entre Schumman, créateur du PLL, et snazzy fx:

Attaque de Schumann:
Citation:
Hello and many thanks for your interest and patience!

Over the past several months we have been receiving a steady flow of emails requesting information regarding our products. Mostly, we are asked when our pedals will be available for sale as well as the price. The answer to these two questions is simply “soon and still TBD”. I fully admit that there has been an ample amount of time to make these reissues, but as you read further, you will understand the delay.

When John Schumann and I first began designing the reissues of his PLL, Lion X and the Two Face Fuzz, it was decided that they were going to be just that. Exact copies of the original units with the exception of greatly improved circuitry design and construction with the benefit of an improved sonic quality. After about 2 months of refinements, the reissues were ready for final prototyping and then on to the "by hand" manufacturing process. All was right on schedule…

One day while surfing the web, I came across a blog that featured new effects pedal makers at the Winter NAMM show. As I browsed the pages, I landed on a person with 3 pedals that he claimed to be uniquely his inventions hatched from his own genius mind. Curious looking, colorful clashing things with lots of tiny knobs. There was a youTube demo from the show that I clicked on to hear what these things did. The first box demo was initially not very impressive to me and I almost moved on. That is, until I heard what sounded vaguely like the Schumann PLL! How could this be? First of all, the Schumann PLL was made with the most unusual unorthodox and sloppy methods of design, along with potting and booby trap circuits built into the boards as a deterrent to any would be forger. It would take a maniac to even consider a crack at reverse engineering, let alone be successful. I showed John the video, during which his response was “That sounds kind of like a PLL. It sounds similar, but is not the same.” And then he remarked “Hey I know that guy!” Apparently this person was a big fan of John’s designs and had been working on a personal project of his own a few years ago. He was able to contacted John and picked his brain for information on how the PLL worked, among several others of John's inventions that he was curious about. Being the kind trusting soul he is, John freely offered to help him after this person emphatically assured him that any information John gave him was to be used for his own personal purpose and never for commercial use or any monetary gain. It was just between him and John and would never go any further. I could not believe this. And John, being an information hoarder, quickly retrieved all the email correspondence and let me read it for myself. Of course I was very disappointed in this person, and sad for him with what damage he had surely inflicted on his own Karma, but more so I was disappointed in John for being so trusting and careless with his intellectual property. Rather than dwell on something that was out of our control, we decide to scrap all work done up to this point and begin again from square one.

Although it was hard to swallow coming within an inch of completion only to step back back a mile, discovering this persons agenda that day has now proven to be a true blessing in disguise. For the past several months the PLL, the Lion X and the Two Face Fuzz have undergone complete design changes resulting in vastly improved sonic qualities as well as additional useful features. John was having fun again feeling like he was inventing brand new things, as by default, he has finally been given the time and opportunity to redesign the original 3 pedals to be so vastly improved that they surpass even his own expectations! These are all truly professional analog electronic signal shaping and coloring devices that we are certain will continue to be a staple on the pedal boards of all our rock star friends and any one else who was lucky enough to acquire them the first time around.

We are both working very hard and will not be releasing anything for sale before we have enough quantity built and tested to meet our initial demand. Being all hand made, this is not a quick process, but we assure you it is well worth the wait!

Regards,

-Slade

Réponse de Snazzy:
Citation:
Hey guys

this is Dan from Snazzy Fx.

Well i was pretty shocked to read this. (john never contacted me before the press release was sent out so I never had the slightest idea that he felt this way)

John and I did exchange a few emails back in the day as a few people on the forums had seen I was interested in Phase Locked Loop circuits and recommended I talk to him. At the time I had NEVER heard of the Schumann PLL but I had been reading quite a bit on PLL's on Mark Hammers site, on forums, and in a bunch of books. Mind you, to this day I have still never owned, used, or heard (except maybe on youtube) a SCHUMANN PLL.

I was mainly interested in talking to him as someone who was interested in the same kind of directions in electronics that I was. He was really nice, as were so many of the people I have had electronics conversations with on forums. We never spoke on the phone though. I was certainly never trying to use John in any way shape or form and this all is a real surprise to me. The people who know me well know how long and hard I worked to get these boxes to a point I was happy with, and the only benchmark I had in mind was something I would be entirely happy playing with.

I had no intention then or now of copying anyones design and at the time we were talking I actually was nowhere near making anything commercial (so there were never any false pretenses)

One thing that I think is important to understand is that there have been PLL circuits around in many shapes and forms (some even as DIY guitar or synth boxes or projects from magazines) before the Schumann PLL. The term PLL itself is a widely used term and I think assuming that I copied his box because they have some similarities in sound is being very harsh. I think just about any box utilizing PLL tech would have some similarity but then again, the differences would be prominent as well. (which I think they would be if an A/B test was done)

Sorry for such a long response but I just wanted to give my side of the story, as their press release went out to many dealers, etc.

I really have tried to add something unique to the world of stompboxes and I am more than happy to answer your questions.

thanks so much

Dan

snazzyfx.com
VENTE A PERTE PEDALES ET BAFFLE HAUT DE GAMME

"J'ai l'impression que certains ici ne prennent pas la guitare assez au sérieux... J'en ai surpris en train de s'amuser... Dommage..." - Zepot

FAUVE ? "imiter Thierry Roland qui imite Grand corps malade, c'est pas donné a tout le monde" - Mia Wallace
crushthebutton
Visualdistortion a écrit :
C'est quoi ces histoires à Devi Ever?! Je l'ai vu plusieurs fois en direct cam, c'est vrai qu'il est très bizarre...

c'est assez simple, il est né homme mais c'est une erreur donc il veut être femme, ce qui implique opération... ce n'est plus il mais elle!
Visualdistortion
Ah okay c'est officiel donc! Mais il va continuer à faire des pédales? ou juste se faire des pédales?... Okay c'était facile je sors...

(Tiens Crush tu veux pas racheter son stock de kit et je te monte les pédales? )
Starfucker Inc.
pour le ptite histoire, devi est sorti avec laura bennett, et la laura est ensuite partie avec zvex.

http://colorseparated.blogspot(...).html

"J'ai l'impression que certains ici ne prennent pas la guitare assez au sérieux... J'en ai surpris en train de s'amuser... Dommage..." - Zepot

FAUVE ? "imiter Thierry Roland qui imite Grand corps malade, c'est pas donné a tout le monde" - Mia Wallace
crushthebutton

(Tiens Crush tu veux pas racheter son stock de kit et je te monte les pédales? )

pas moyen, il continue d'en faire! ça y est je me suis encore planter, je recommence: elle continue d'en faire!
askthedust
Starfucker Inc. a écrit :
pour le ptite histoire, devi est sorti avec laura bennett, et la laura est ensuite partie avec zvex.

Nope, il est sorti avec une dénommée Ashley qu'il s'est faite piquer par Zvex. Puis elle s'est tirée avec Myrold et ils ont monté Oohlala avec une 3ème personne nommée Amada, qui est d'ailleurs assez hot.
crushthebutton
askthedust a écrit :
Starfucker Inc. a écrit :

Nope, il est sorti avec une dénommée Ashley qu'il s'est faite piquer par Zvex. Puis elle s'est tirée avec Myrold et ils ont monté Oohlala avec une 3ème personne nommée Amada, qui est d'ailleurs assez hot.

il ne manquait plus que toi d'ailleurs, je me demandais si Oohlala existait toujours

il ne font plus devi ever, autant dire que point de vue vente, c'est 0... ce serait parce que devi est rancunière?
Starfucker Inc.
au temps pour moi, j'ai pas relu l'article, ça faisait un moment que je l'avais lu

tinouz
Moi je veux voir la Amada

Sinon je savais qu'il y'avait des filles qui aimaient les gars avec du fric, les rockstars, les sportifs, etc... mais pas les mecs qui font des pédales!!!

http://www.effectsdatabase.com(...)hlala tiens cadeau
"Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

En ce moment sur effet guitare...