G3

Moko
  • Publié par
    Moko
    le 01 Nov 03, 08:22
Pour les fans, voilà une review d'un concert tirée du site www.frankgambale.com

Well, I just got a chance to see the G3 tour here in Detroit last Thursday night...
This is my take on what I experienced that night. I had really great seats so I was able to get a real good view of all three guys.

The show opened with Yngwie, who still looked the 80's metal shredder he always was. Same leather type pants, same hair, and sorry to say...the same arrogance. He was still in great form on the guitar, but his effects box switching was terribly noisy and noticeable too.

The audience was reacting just like a true blue heavy metal audience. At one point my wife looks over at me and starts the classic heavy metal head banging motion. I couldn't help but laugh, because we understand each other's body language so well.

I found that Yngwie was not playing his classic songs all the way through. Almost seemed like he had turned some of his tunes into sort of medleys. I didn't like that!

The fact was, that after two or three songs, I had had enough. By the way Yngwie struts and moves about, you can't help sense that he is one arrogant character.

At the end of his set, I just broke out laughing when some drunk guy who was behind me started screaming, "More Harmonic Minor! More Harmonic Minor!". After laughing so hard for almost 5 minutes I had to stop to explain it to my wife because she didn't know what I was laughing about.

Anyway, Steve came out next. Man, what a show he put on! He had Billy Sheehan on bass, and Tony MacAlpine on keyboards and guitar, as well as another guitar player (sorry, can't remember his name) and an excellent drummer.

Vai was so controlled and so polished, it was almost like listening to the record itself. At one point they were playing a killer jam where all 3 guitar players were doing right hand hammers simultaneously and moving through different counterpoint type lines. It was just incredible to hear all 4 moving voices in sync.

Steve is just a great human being too. He came out by himself before his band even hit the stage and was very gracious to the audience. He even recognized an old friend and supporter in the audience and thanked him for all his years of dedication and support.

Steve was in top form as he played through about 6 or 7 classics that just sounded awesome with the band he was playing with that night. Of all 3, I have to admit, Steve is definitely the best one technically, although Satch is the melody man.

When Satch came out, he just played his classics like "Satch Boogie", "The Extremist", "Always with me, Always with you" and it's funny to see how the audience basically sings the melodies to his tunes that have no words. I think that's definitely the sign of great melody writer.

As always, Joe puts on a good show and although he may not be as fast or technically perfect as the other two, his songwriting skills are superb as his catalog demonstrates.

At the end, when all 3 come out to jam together, it almost seemed as though Vai and Satch had to let Mr. Malmsteen solo a little longer than their own slots permitted. But they were really good about allowing this to give the fans a great show.

It was at this moment that I noticed that Satch and Vai had kind of transcended the 80's by their music and how they were dressed, over Yngwie who still seemed to be re-hashing the same old harmonic minor scale and wearing the 80's leather clothes he was wearing back on his 1st CD.

Anyway, that is what I witnessed that night. And although I listened and studied these 3 guys heavily back in the day, I now understand why I only continue to listen to only two.
"Caca-boudin" (Nietzsche, Considérations inactuelles).
lalimacefolle
8O
ça sent le guitariste frustré de pas être à la place de Yngvie!!
J'hallucine! Il est si malheureux que ça Gambale pour cracher son fiel comme ça sur Malmsteem? Ben mince alors?
Manu
  • Manu
  • Vintage Méga utilisateur
  • MP
  • Publié par
    Manu
    le 01 Nov 03, 08:52
On attendra le live en DVD pour se faire un avis
free4one
gambale etait certainement triste de ne pas avoir de contrat/concert ce soir la...
Manu
  • Manu
  • Vintage Méga utilisateur
  • MP
  • Publié par
    Manu
    le 01 Nov 03, 09:16
onzieme diese a écrit :

j'ai plutôt l'impression que c'est un anonyme qui a écrit ça sur le forum de gambale...

moko, tu confirmes ?

Tu as tout à fait raison:

http://www.frankgambale.com/mb(...).html

Voilà le topic concerné (je vais éditer mon précédent post qui ne veut plus rien dire )
onzieme diese
ouaip !
faut pas oublier que gambale est à la gratte fusion ce que vai est à la gratte rock : le + malin des buisnessman...

donc il n'irait pas tenir ce genre de propos pas "politiquement correctes" et donc pas "commerciaux" !
ventes :
- Marshall 2203 type JMP de 1976
- Pedals AMT

www.myspace.com/onzieme_diese
www.parkingprive.com
Moko
  • Publié par
    Moko
    le 01 Nov 03, 10:08
Ouais, il y a malentendu, le message provient d'un gars du forum. Frank Gambale n'ira jamais s'abaisser à uriner sur un homme à terre

Par ailleurs, je connais bien le site et suis depuis un certain temps les discussions et je peux dire que Gambale n'est pas vraiment un businessman à la Vai ; j'en veux pour preuve le fait qu'il a eu un mal fou à racheter les droits de ces albums chez JVC, et qu'une fois cela fait, il se fait avoir par son distributeur qui s'écroule...

Gambale, c'est d'abord et avant tout un pédagogue de renom. Il a fondé une école, la LA Music academy, dot il écrit les cursus de gratte. Ses livres et DVD sont mondialement reconnus pour leur qualité.

C'est ensuite quelqu'un qui a contribué au développement du jeu en sweeping et à la transposition des théories modales à la guitare.

C'est enfin, un guitariste dont on peut ne pas forcément apprécier les compos, mais dont le choix par Chick Corea pour la place de guitariste au sein de l'Elektrik Band est en soi un couronnement... même si on peut ne pas apprécier l'Elektrik Band !!!
onzieme diese
Moko a écrit :
dont le choix par Chick Corea pour la place de guitariste au sein de l'Elektrik Band est en soi un couronnement... même si on peut ne pas apprécier l'Elektrik Band !!!

c'est clair !
j'aime beaucoup "beneath the mask"...

mais bon, il a qd même le sens de l'image & du commerce, par rapport à henderson (excellent pédagogue lui aussi) et holdsworth (pas du tout pédagogue... mais les génies peuvent-ils l'être ?)

ps: j'adore ton avatar ! c'est super dur de trouver des photos de greg sur le net !
ventes :
- Marshall 2203 type JMP de 1976
- Pedals AMT

www.myspace.com/onzieme_diese
www.parkingprive.com
Moko
  • Publié par
    Moko
    le 01 Nov 03, 11:51
Merci !

Je me suis pas foulé en fait, je l'ai pris sur le site de Greg. Encore un businessman raté ! Pas capable de finaliser un site alors qu'une horde de fans attend d'acheter ses vidéos... qu'il aura mis plus de dix ans à proposer !!!!!
Moko
  • Publié par
    Moko
    le 01 Nov 03, 12:49
Entre temps le méchant modérateur est passé...
Matthieu S
Moko a écrit :
Entre temps le méchant modérateur est passé...

kècicé passé ?
Moko
  • Publié par
    Moko
    le 01 Nov 03, 15:17
ai reçu MP comme koi c'était trop grand... moins grand que mon premier pourtant... mais bon...

En ce moment sur concerts...